Wednesday 24 June 2015

More scrap vortex progress

I hope you are not bored with my Scrap Vortex reports: I am loving it so much and at the moment it is just about all the sewing I can manage (though I hope to have a finish for Friday this week).

If you haven't had a look at Amanda Jean's really helpful posts and you have a bag of scraps (anyone out there who doesn't?), follow this link, which includes the previous posts, and have a go; it is really good fun once you get over the initial shock and into the groove.

The process does make a bit of a mess, admittedly, but I like to ignore the mess on the floor and focus on the wonderfully neat (once you have squared up) blocks which you will have made from scraps which many people would have thrown away.


I have layered my larger pieced blocks on my design board to give an idea of how it will look once they are all joined together - not quite at that stage yet.

I am thrilled at how many of my scraps have been transformed and made to live a useful and beautiful life as part of a wonderful quilt: what more could a small piece of fabric aspire to?  It's a sort of immortality...

I am also progressing my Scrapper's Delight quilt and using up the bigger strips now as the blocks grow.  Even better working on two quilts at a time, and you won't be surprised to hear that I am chain piecing everything!



Still very much work in progress, but I do feel there is real progress now that the pieces are bigger. Linking to Lee at Freshly Pieced: WIP Wednesday.  A Kaleidoscope Quilt like hers is on my to-do list but it will have to wait a while longer...

5 comments:

  1. Your are making great progress with your scrap votex blocks and I love your Scrappers Delight too .. they all look wonderful! Apart from the fact that they both have come out of the same scrap basket, do you have any colour scheme or little 'rules' , or is it really anything goes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about starting a scrap vortex quilt after reading about yours. I too have two quilt projects going on at one time. When I tire of one, I go to the other. Unfortunately both are with small pieces, 1.5 and 2.5 inches so progress is slow and boredom sets in easily. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for all your comments - great to hear from you. Linda, it is a really good question: I guess I don't consciously think warm/cold colour alternating which I know can be helpful; with me it's more a case of looking for a different texture/scale of print and every so often making myself throw in something offbeat to pep it up eg an extra strong dark or light. Practice helps and I have found that the more I do the easier it becomes. Plus not agonising over every decision!!! Go for it, Karen, even if you just do a few blocks it will make a change from precision piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! Fantastic scrappy masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete